Thursday, February 17, 2011

I believe that this paragraph strongly shows racism, even though i am open to the fact that each person is entitled to his or her opinions. The fact that this author puts Chinese mothers, and their teachings of their kids being successful, ahead of other ethnically different women\mothers, gives off an impression that those other mothers are inferior to those of the Chinese. The paragraph That I chose supports my opinion\ point that Chinese mothers in this article are put ahead of other races mothering skills:
"I'm using the term "Chinese mother" loosely. I know some Korean, Indian, Jamaican, Irish and Ghanaian parents who qualify too. Conversely, I know some mothers of Chinese heritage, almost always born in the West, who are not Chinese mothers, by choice or otherwise. I'm also using the term "Western parents" loosely. Western parents come in all varieties. All the same, even when Western parents think they're being strict, they usually don't come close to being Chinese mothers. For example, my Western friends who consider themselves strict make their children practice their instruments 30 minutes every day. An hour at most. For a Chinese mother, the first hour is the easy part. It's hours two and three that get tough."
Even though the author does recognize other races as possible canidates for being good mothers, still she is glorifying the mothering skills of the Chinese.

No comments:

Post a Comment