Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Overall Thoughts About The Book: How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents Book Post #3

      When I read the first couple chapters of how the Garcia Girls Lost Thier Accents, I thought that there was something very unique and intresting about it. I picked up a message that the author was trying to send the readers: That men and women are both equal and should have the same rights. I strongly felt like the book was going to become more deep and the understanding more complex and hard to figure out, too complicated just to read and immediately understand the full concept ( like the kind of books I like). However, it got boring which made it harder for me to want to continue reading. I got the message that the author pointed out for her readers to see, but the constant reminding that men were more dominant and had the "upper hand" in thier romantic relations with women started to get played off and annoying to read about. The author constantly told stories around those subjects and made the stories predictable.

    In the story, there are four characters, four sisters more likely, who are stuck between wild America and their  male controlling homeland The Dominican Republic.Chapter after chapter, one after the other, where they are shifted from being in the U.S  back to their homeland and over and over again.  When a writer repeatdily picks at a subject it gets painful to read and tortures those who are assigned to read the story, which was exactly my situation during this piece. It was annoying.

     And finally, the way the book was put together really didnt make any sense in  my opinion. Yes, it was a creative and unique way of writing, but did the author really have to choose that writing style for this particular book where it was already hard enough to read due to the facts I have listed above. This just was not the right book for me and i would not reccommend it to anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment